The Best Resource Guide for Staging Furniture for Sale
Let me start with a confession. It’s no secret that I have a bit of a hoarding problem when it comes to home decor and staging props. As a matter of fact, I have an entire wall of shelves in my workshop dedicated to props for staging furniture. Granted, it didn’t happen overnight, nothing ever truly does, but it’s become a ‘thing’ of mine that I have grown to enjoy as part of the furniture painting process. There are steps to this business: the hunt of finding a piece, the makeover and then the staging and photos. Once the painted furniture itself is long gone and off to its forever home the photos are all we have left for our portfolio, so make them count.
When staging furniture I treat each piece the same whether it’s already sold or will be for sale. The photos matter. Welcome to my episode of home decor and props for staging furniture, would you like to know where I’ve found all these amazing items? Keep in mind even if you don’t stage or sell furniture these are also great home décor items. Many of my staging props have migrated into my home décor over time, but the bulk are here on my shelves.
Staging Props Found Online
Im going to start with the easiest of the staging items, the ones found online, ordered and sent right to my doorstep. Because we all appreciate convenience right?
- Pink Faux Flowers
The pink flowers are the most used of all of my faux flower bouquets. Here is an example:
- Purple & Orange Faux Flowers
- Pussy Willows
Vintage Style Items
Along with faux flowers, it is a good idea to accumulate some vintage style items, what I mean by that is items that are new but have a vintage appearance.
- These vintage style suitcases are used quite often when I’m staging furniture. These can be found here: Old Style Suitcases. They come in handy when there’s a space on the floor that needs a little something. For example:
- Other vintage style items that work nicely with staging furniture are clocks and picture frames. The ornate black frame was ordered here: Black Photo Frame As I share my decor addiction with you make sure to go ahead and share it with your friends too.Click To Tweet
- The vintage style clock was found here: Vintage Style Clock
- Though the frame in this staged lingerie chest was not found online the image inside was. To avoid filling staged photos with photos of yourself and your family you can fill them with simple vintage style postcards, which can be found here: Vintage Style Postcards
A set of pillar candles adds height within photos since you don’t want multiple items all the same size. These were found online and are also used often. They have been relocated away from my staging prop shelves and made their way into my personal home decor. These can be found here: Wooden Pillar Candles
Wire Mannequin Dress Form
The dress form is often used when staging bedroom furniture like dressers or lingerie chests and can be found here: Wire Dress Form
Here is an example of the dress form used with furniture staging:
- As silly as it may seem balls are great, the decorative kind of course. These decorative balls were found here: Decorative Spheres
- While these were found in the decor section of a local craft store. I was poking around the store with my mom and she purchased some for herself too!
Metal & Wood Items
- Metal and wooden items add texture when staging furniture, and to home design. I find when staging a masculine type piece of furniture it tends to compliment the piece better than pink flowers. This area of the shelf may look crazy but it makes sense to me. Take the metal decor trumpet for example, it works well with staging a painted desk and can be found here: Metal Decor Trumpet
- Here is an example of what I would consider masculine furniture staging, not that furniture really is masculine or feminine but its the feeling you get when you look at a finished piece. In this case, often black, browns and navy.
- Sometimes floral decor is great for color, and other times simple greenery works too. These faux boxwood plants are great and can be found here: Faux boxwood
Not Everything Can Be Found Online
Unfortunately, not everything can be found online, especially when you want to add unique items to your staging, or your home. Many great finds have been at random antique shops. Some items to look for at antique shops are vintage books and anything that stands out to you. Here are a few items that I cherish and were scooped up at antique stores, Goodwill and estate sales.
There is something about old books, especially the colored leather bound books. These are now part of my living room decor but I use them often. They were bought at an antique shop in Florida while on a family vacation.
Another unique item is my stone bust of David. I tend to grab him when staging something romantic and feminine. He was found in a vintage shop down in New Jersey. I gave him a little jewelry for an added touch.
Sometimes he’s on top of a painted piece and sometimes he hangs down low.
- Cathedral Windows
I found these old cathedral windows at an adorable little shop out on Eastern Long Island. Initially, I bought one and then went back for a second. They are often added alongside a painted piece, almost like background decor.
- Golf Clubs
These old golf clubs belonged to my husband’s grandfather. Sometimes it’s best to use what you have.
- Colored Glass
Colorful glass jars always add both texture and color. If you are at the local Goodwill go ahead and scoop up some glassware. If they don’t have a decent selection than the dollar store or craft store is always good for these.
- Vintage Milk Jug
This vintage milk jug was rescued from an old barn in the Catskills where I acquired quite a few pieces of furniture. The milk jug actually stays on my front porch, but I pull it in for staging when it suits the style of the painted furniture being photographed.
- Angel Statues
Im about to surprise you with something. I bet you wouldn’t be able to guess where I found these angels that I use all the time?
Ready? Drumroll.. CVS! Yep, check the gardening and small decor section when you run in for toothpaste or to fill a prescription. You will be amazed at the affordable items and seasonal items that you can find there. These angels are used all the time in my staging.
- Kids Toys
Whether you pull artwork from your walls in your home or pick something up from a random antique shop art is always a good idea. I prefer to add artwork over mirrors because with mirrors you have to be mindful of the reflection. This vintage art was brought back from that same barn in the Catskills and is now a part of my living room gallery wall.
If you don’t make it to estate sales then check out your local decor store. Places like TJ Maxx, Michaels and Hobby Lobby have great art and sometimes they are in the clearance section which makes it even better.
Deciding on What to Use for Staging Furniture For Sale
Sometimes deciding on what staging prop or decor item works with a piece can become a struggle. To help alleviate some of that struggle you should make the color wheel your best friend. It’s as simple as pairing colors opposite of one another.
On more times that I can remember I referred to the color wheel and realized that I needed something in a different color for a piece that I was working on. I often think about staging a piece before I even finish it. For example, while painting this turquoise desk I referred to the wheel and noticed that orange works with blue. I didn’t have anything orange to stage with so I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I ran out and bought orange flowers specifically for staging this desk.
If nothing else I hope I have helped you either with staging ideas or inspiration. Maybe you will look at home décor and color in a different way now. Are you running to CVS yet? 🙂
Still not satisfied? Here are a few more links to additional items that I have acquired for staging furniture not specified above:
I’ll be sharing this post at these fabulous link parties.
Don’t Forget – Follow Just the Woods and Share this post to Inspire others:
Subscribe to our mailing list here:
PINTEREST PIN READY TO SHARE