Chocolate chip muffins are always a family favorite and delicious treat to have around the house. But sometimes it’s difficult to know what ingredients are considered healthy or clean when making homemade chocolate chip muffins. With any dessert type food you always want to enjoy in moderation, and this easy chocolate chip muffin recipe will help you do just that.
Disclosure: This clean eating chocolate chip muffin recipe with walnuts post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
Homemade Chocolate Chip and Walnut Muffins
What You Will Need (Full Printable Recipe Available Below)
- 1 cup cashew flour
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao chips (or dark chocolate chips of your choice)
- muffin pan
- silicone muffin liners
Along with eating clean and trying to keep my family eating healthy I also see a nutritionist. To make a long story short he runs a full blood panel and can see where my body is lacking certain things or has an abundance etc. Then we take this info and use food as a sort of medicine to address any issues. For example, my thyroid is a mess, my glutamine is extremely low, and my hormones are a mess. To keep it simple, my current diet now includes more cashews and less almonds. More pork, and less chicken. I find myself seeking out recipes and then making a lot of changes to them to keep them healthy for myself and my family. As a result I now plan to add more alternative clean eating recipes to my blog.
Clean Eating Basics
Continuing on, and rewinding at the same time – I mention that this is a clean eating recipe because I am all about eating healthy and clean eating. If you are new to a clean eating way of life then you need to check out Everything You Need to Know about a Clean Eating Diet. You can also see how I lost 50 lbs and am keeping it off by following a clean eating diet here: How I Lost 50 Lbs Clean Eating. I tend to try different things and mix different flavors to keep meals healthy and tasty.
This recipe for healthy chocolate chip muffins with walnuts is very similar to my chocolate chip walnut cookies recipe. I guess we love chocolate chips and nuts around here. These healthy chocolate chip muffins are actually gluten-free and refined sugar-free making them virtually guilt free. Some days I snack on raw nuts, while other days I really want something sweet. This chocolate chip muffin recipe is a family favorite in my house. Along with all of my delicious smoothie recipes, there are always healthy energy balls, muffins and/or donuts in my grab and go stash of snacks.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins with Walnuts
- Let’s gather our chocolate chip muffins ingredients.
- Pre heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Grab your muffin pan and line with silicone liners. These make clean up a breeze and I will never go back to paper liners again. You can get these online here: silicone muffin liners.
- First, in a medium sized bowl add your cashew flour. For these to remain gluten free chocolate chip muffins we are using cashew flour instead of traditional flour. This is the cashew flour I use here: cashew flour.
- Next, add the coconut palm sugar. This is a healthier alternative to processed refined sugars. Coconut palm sugar also falls low on the glycemic index and is not as sweet as other sugars. You can find it online here: coconut palm sugar.
- Go ahead and add the eggs, coconut oil and molasses. Keep in mind that molasses is still a sugar but it is considered paleo since it is not processed like other sugars. Your best bet is to use backstop molasses. (I only had robust on hand at the time).
- Mix your homemade chocolate chip muffins mix thoroughly. It will look a but gritty, that is ok.
Chocolate Chip and Walnut Muffins
For our chocolate chip and walnut muffins you will need 1 cup of chopped walnuts. My nuts aren’t pre-chopped so we I toss them into a plastic bag, whack with a hammer and voila = chopped nuts. Add the walnuts to the mix.
Lastly, we can add the chocolate chips. There are 3 different type of chocolate chips that I use when baking. This comes down to personal preference.
- Enjoy Life 69% cacao chocolate chips
- Pascha 85% cacao chocolate chips
- Pashca 100% cacao chocolate chips
The higher the percentage the less sweet and more pure cacao. When I use 100% cacao chips my kids accuse me of using fake chocolate. lol. For these chocolate chip muffins I am using the Enjoy life dairy free, vegan chocolate chips.
Mix thoroughly and scoop your healthy chocolate chip muffins mix into your silicone liners.
Bake for 25 minutes. You should see a little brown around the edges of the healthy chocolate chip muffins and they should pass the toothpick test. Remove from oven and let cool.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins with Walnuts
Once cool you can pop your muffins out of the liners and enjoy.
We normally leave these in an air tight container for up to 3 days. If there are still any left after that we transfer to the fridge for a few more days. But they usually don’t last very long in our house.
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- mix cashew flour and coconut sugar
- then add the rest of the ingredients
- bake for 25 min, until slightly brown around edges
- remove from oven and let cool
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 25mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g