Disclosure: This chocolate strawberry smoothie recipe post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie Recipe
What You Will Need (Full Printable Recipe Available Below)
Ingredients (makes 2 smoothies)
- 1 cup fresh Strawberries (you can use frozen if fresh is out of season)
- 2 cups Almond Milk (make your own)
- 1 Tbsp Raw Cacao (this is the one that I use and love HERE)
- 2 Tbsp Raw Honey (this is the one that I love HERE)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (this is the one that I use and Love: HERE)
- or 1 cup plain Greek yogurt to thicken (freeze for an even thicker smoothie)
- Dark chocolate cacao chips (optional for garnish – I love these HERE)
- a small handful of ice
- Blender (here)
How to Make a Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie
- Just like with all of my smoothie recipes, let’s break out the blender. I have a blender with the separate attachments for the food processor, spiralizer and smoothie cup. You can find a great combo blender online HERE. But any blender will do to make this chocolate strawberry smoothie recipe.
- Next, let’s gather our smoothie ingredients. (measurements above)
- strawberries – because you can’t make a chocolate strawberry smoothie without strawberries. If fresh strawberries are out of season you can use frozen. Fresh is always better, but I have also found that organic strawberries tend to be smaller and sweeter and last longer. You can also extend the life of your strawberries by rinsing them with white vinegar when you get them home. I don’t know why it works, but it does.
- almond milk – from the box or homemade, I like to stick with organic and unsweetened. This is how I make my own almond milk.
- honey – it’s a natural sweetener and better than plain old table sugar. I like to always opt for raw & unfiltered honey (HERE).
- raw cacao – a healthier form of chocolate. I use this cacao powder in smoothies, protein balls and baking (HERE).
- vanilla extract
- protein powder – because I add protein to everything, but you can use plain greek yogurt if you prefer. This is the protein powder that I use, it is a bit on the pricey side, but I figure since I no longer drink coffee or wine the cost cancels each other out. (here) It is a plant-based vegan protein powder that fits with the clean eating, gluten-free lifestyle. I also tend to lean towards dairy free when I can which is why I often opt for protein powder over Greek yogurt. But this is a personal preference of course.
- dark chocolate chips- optional for garnish. I like to use cacao chips that are at least 85% cacao or more. My kids call it fake chocolate because it’s not sweet, but I love them. I find myself using them in baking and other snacks all the time. (here)
Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie Making Steps
- Simply place all of your smoothie ingredients in your blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite glass or mason jar and pop a straw in.
Serve and enjoy. This recipe makes 2 smoothies, so you can share with the kids or a friend.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, or 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- dark chocolate cacao chips, optional
- handful of ice
- Place all ingredients in a blender
- Blend on high until smooth
- Serve and Enjoy
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 6gSugar: 39gProtein: 29g
nutritional values may vary