Painted Dresser with Surprise Drawers
This painted dresser sat in its original vintage condition for way too long. I have to tell you that I have had this dresser in my inventory for quite some time. It was actually reserved at one point to be customized and then became available again, no one seemed to want it. I feared that no one could see its potential, at least not the potential that I could see for it. I also had no intentions of refinishing this dresser when I did. But I scooped up an ornate buffet knowing I had no space for it, forcing me to pull this dresser out. It had so many scratches from being moved around so much, other pieces stacked on top of it, etc. Take a look at the condition it was in when I pulled it from inventory.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Click here for my full disclosure policy.
I know that from a distance all anyone sees is ugly brown and ugly hardware. The first step in transforming this vintage dresser was to sand the top, smoothing out the scratches as much as possible, clean, prep and vacuum out the dust from inside. My little helper insisted on vacuuming out the dust.
New to painting furniture and not sure where to start? Start at the beginning with How to Paint Furniture – a Beginners Guide.
Since this dresser was unplanned and will be listed for sale I decided to keep it neutral with a custom mixed rich espresso brown made by mixing Kristi Kuehl Pure Home Paint & Finishes Tanner Brown and Derby. The bottom was painted in Kristi Kuehl Pure Home Paints White Linen which is a creamy white. I also decided to add an extra touch to the drawer fronts that are hiding behind the center doors by adding a pretty vintage print from my secret stash. BUT…
Dag nabbit they don’t match!! I waited overnight until after they were completely dry to check on them and realized that they were totally off. I had to take the bottom drawer and sand the print off with my electric sander to start all over. The second time around I decided to do the bottom drawer differently than the top and I think it works much better now.
This ugly duckling really transformed into a beautiful vintage painted dresser.
The Result – Vintage Painted Dresser
The details and edges were all distressed using my favorite flexible sandpaper.The brassy gold hardware was freshened up to a dark almost hammered bronze.
The drawers really give it the extra wow factor while keeping the dresser as a whole rather neutral.
The entire piece was then sealed for protection with the clear Satin Protective Finish.
Thanks for following along with me. xoxo
Home Decor /Staging Props
I’ll be sharing this post at these fabulous link parties.
Don’t Forget – Follow Just the Woods :
Subscribe to our mailing list here:
PINTEREST PIN READY TO SHARE
Learn to Decoupage with All things Decoupage by Just the Woods: